Monday, October 27, 2008

Why Buying a Car in Denmark Sucks

written by Lindsay

We have survived over 1 1/2 years without a car to drive, and for the most part we are used to the challenges and can plan effectively around them. However, with Baby #2 on the way (due in May) our transportation options are quickly dwindling. We're hoping to make it a few more months with me on my bike, and in the meantime we're considering our options for either buying or leasing a car for the duration of the pregnancy and through the newborn months.

But let me tell you, this is not an easy decision to make, nor a fun process to go through. Through the searching I've done so far online, here are the Top 6 reasons that I've come up with why buying a car in Denmark sucks:
  1. Unit conversion - odometers are in kilometers, gas mileage is in liters, and prices are in kroners. Sure, I can use my calculator, but it takes a long time to figure out what kind of car you can get for the money.

  2. This is the kind of car you can buy for the equivalent of $5000 - depressing. (that is a 1997 Fiat Cinquecento 1,1 Sporting with 185,000km, by the way)

  3. Tax on said yellow car is 25% - an extra $1250.

  4. Have you ever heard of these makes/models: Citroen Xantia, Fiat Brava, Opel Astra, Renault Clio???? This is mostly what a search in our price range yields. How am I supposed to know which car will likely not break down on the motorvej?

  5. $7-ish per gallon for gas. Once we do find a car, we're still likely looking at heavy operating expenses. If gas costs this much, what about regular maintenance? What do we do if the old clunker does break down?

  6. We've been in Denmark long enough to settle into a comfort zone, where we have safely excluded life dealings that we're unfamiliar with. Buying a car takes us into uncharted waters - getting a Danish driver's license, buying insurance, reselling the car when we leave, etc.

On the bright side, once we get past this stage of figuring out what in the heck we're going to do, I have the feeling that owning a car in Denmark is going to open up a whole new world of possibilities for us, and make life unbelievably easier. No more waiting an hour for the next bus for a Sunday day trip, no more looking at the sky to see if a trip to the store is in the question. And we can start taking Sasha out on more adventures with us again. Not to mention, easier access to McDonalds and the grocery store that sells American items - two things that are guaranteed to make a pregnant woman happy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I know what you mean! It took me about 1.5 years and I had a long commute to work. (bike, metro, train, walk) until I got my car. I have an Opel Astra (it's a German-made Ford), and a very good car. Opels are rock solid and not as expensive as others. Good luck!

...Laura
www.lbstadler.wordpress.com

Jenny said...

Cute car! But I can definitely understand why you've put off getting one until now. Very confusing and expensive. Hope you find a good one.

Anonymous said...

eightdegreesofseparation.blogspot.com is very informative. The article is very professionally written. I enjoy reading eightdegreesofseparation.blogspot.com every day.
bad credit personal loans
loans