Sunday, October 21, 2007

More cake please!

written by Tom

Interesting thing I’ve learned about Danes, especially at work, is that when it’s your birthday it is customary to provide cake for other people. In the US it’s usually done the other way around, and other people get the cake for you, if they remember. I like the Danish way better – there are less hurt feelings. :)

When I mentioned this to a friend, here's what he said:

"Oh then you would love my work place. We almost push people or the company into cake at any excuse. When newly employed you have to bring cake or breakfast (some bread and butter etc.) after three months when the trial period is over. Each birthday of course. Going on holiday. For unexpected big orders. When a house or a car is purchased. Or when you sell your house. Anniversary. etc."

1 comment:

Pat G. said...

I think I'm going to have to implement the Danish tradition for cake next week. If I bring my own cake then I can make sure that I'll get a good one, right? Plus it's 3 other peoples' birthday at work the same week. Now I just need to decide how I'm going to celebrate...